There are so many websites now offering advice on how to deal with the impending menace of Coronavirus that it’s getting harder and harder to know who to listen to. Every news agency is bombarding us with tales of doom and gloom and it feels as if the world is coming to an untimely end. Well it isn’t judgement day quite yet but it is a serious situation. We wouldn’t pretend to be virus experts so won’t offer any advice except the blatantly obvious.
- Wash your hands properly
- Cough and sneeze into disposable tissues
- Try to restrict physical social interaction such as shaking hands, hugging, and kissing
Seems like common sense doesn’t it? If we could all follow these rules then it wouldn’t just be Coronavirus that was restricted it would also be the common cold, flu and countless other viruses.
This isn’t about advice then, you can get that in a thousand other places. Some of which are reputable. The issue we have is with our nomadic lifestyle and the impact that a pandemic could have on it.
When we first started JWalking we considered multiple situations that could affect our travels but never ever envisaged that our travel plans could be so seriously affected by a worldwide medical pandemic. We considered our own health and our family’s health of course but the not the impact that the Coronavirus could have on travelling. Compared to the suffering it is causing and the fatalities then our travel plans are really unimportant but we will have to rethink our lives over the next few months.
As you all know we plan a few months ahead and we had booked multiple flights and a lot of accommodation overseas between now and July in multiple locations across the world. Those plans are now is disarray with travel restrictions on virtually every country which will almost certainly get stricter in the coming weeks.
Many of the countries that we were planning to visit are now insisting on self-isolation for 14 days on arrival from the UK which of course would mean we would need to book a hotel or hostel for two weeks. This obviously is not something we have planned and does not fit our complex flight/train/bus schedule at all. So it looks like some of these trips may be off. We do have travel insurance but without the UK Foreign Office changing their recommendations I’m not sure if we would be entitled to a penny. So it could cost us a lot of money.
Cancelling these trips and losing money is not the only issue of course. ‘Normal‘ holidaymakers would just stay at home but we don’t have a home so the cancellation of a trip also means that we have to find accommodation for that same period of time at even more expense. Last minute housesits are an option of course but the situation is so fluid currently and changing on a daily basis so we are treading water delaying making decisions until as late as possible.
Even housesitting isn’t unaffected by the outbreak as the people that we housesit for may actually have their own travel plans cancelled which would mean that they don’t require sitters anymore and once again we would be ‘homeless‘ looking for accommodation. These cancellations will also be last-minute as the home-owners obviously may be reluctant to make their own holiday-cancelling decisions until the last minute. So our well organised careful planning of housesits from June to September are now all in doubt. We wait once more ……..
Another issue we are very aware of is that if we do travel abroad we may find that we are told to ‘self-isolate‘ on our return. We don’t have a home to ‘self-isolate‘ in so where would we go? Friends or family? Of course not as that would potentially impact their health. We are especially aware of our older relatives and friends that may have existing health issues too and whether our plans to visit them needs to be changed.
Hotel? Two weeks? That would be a major expense just to have to sit tight in the room of a Travelodge or Premier Inn wouldn’t it? Hopefully it doesn’t come to that but we are aware of it. And what would we do about food in a Travelodge? They don’t do room service do they?
Wonder what would happen if we were told at the airport to go home and ‘self-isolate‘ and we turned around and said that we couldn’t? Difficult situation and who would make a decision on where we went. Let’s hope this never occurs but it is on our minds.
Coronavirus and Travelling
So we aren’t making light of the Coronavirus outbreak and the terrifying potential it has to spread throughout the world but we are having to rethink and replan currently with the knowledge that this could be extremely expensive. An unimaginable consequence of us having this crazy nomadic lifestyle.
Our final thoughts are with everyone that has been affected healthwise by this formidable virus. Travelling is unimportant compared to your health so we just hope that it doesn’t keep spreading and that the world manages to get it under control very soon.